09 Mar Natural vanillin processing
Our experts’ interview – Ennolys – R&D Manager – How do we process natural vanillin?
How is natural flavor derived from fermentation?
To officially qualify as natural, a flavor substance must meet several criteria. It must already exist naturally, be produced naturally, and be obtained from natural products.
Among Ennolys’ flagship products, we can cite vanilline: This flavor, widely sought-after, is the end-product of multiple stages:
- Raw matter selectionas well as the appropriate microorganisms. As discussed, each microorganism has its own specific properties and it is important to select the correct strains for the desired results.
- Natural fermentation in a bioreactor from bioconversion. The natural flavor is obtained from the result of this stage.
- Separation and extraction.
- Purificationby distillation and crystallization.
- The natural fermentation flavor, isolated and purified, can then be used.
Quality control is performed throughout the production line so as to guarantee a product of superior quality.
Ennolys’ fermentation expertise
Ennolys, leader in fermentation expertise, offers a range of natural fermentation-induced flavors with unique ofactory and gustatory characteristics. They are produced for flavorists, and for the food industry, nutricional, and cosmetic markets. To fulfill the needs of the industry, Ennolys created the Ennarom line which offers flavors derived from natural products. Ennalys also developed Ennallin, natural venilline derived from the fermentation process. For more information about the natural fermentation flavors and the process by which vanilline is made, please consult our infographics page entitled “Natural Flavors”.